Built in 1761 by Alderman William Colles from the family who made Kilkenny black marble famous. Now the City Hall, it was completely restored following a fire in 1987. Well worth a visit.
With its lantern clock tower and 'Big Ben' chime, the Tholsel is a distinctive image of Kilkenny. Built in 1761, the double five arch arcade was used as a covered market place.
It is now used for art exhibitions, and street theatre companies regularly perform there .The offices of Kilkenny Corporation Chamber is located in the building.
In the Middle Ages it served as court house, custom-house, guildhall and a meeting place for merchants.