Tel: +353 (0) 56 772 2073
Kilkenny District Court Office
Tel: +353 (0) 56 772 1019
The remains of this fortress, which was built in 1210 and converted to a prison in 1568, are now incorporated into the basement area of the 19th century courthouse in Parliament Street, Kilkenny.
Kilkenny Courthouse History
The courthouse is in the historical centre of the town. It was originally built over, and incorporated the remains of, a sixteenth century castle and an eighteenth century Gaol. It was converted to a courthouse in c.1792 and remodelled in c.1828 and extended to the rear in c.1870.
The brief involved the refurbishment of the existing courthouse building along with the construction of a new 3,000 square metre extension. The works provide new and improved accommodation for all court users and include two new courtrooms, judges’ chambers, office accommodation for Circuit and District Court
All public and staff areas are fully universally accessible, including the courtrooms which have been redesigned to be accessible to anyone with mobility difficulties. The courtrooms have also been equipped with induction loops to aid peoplewith hearing difficulties.
Photographs courtesy of Donal Murphy Photography