Castlecomer Discovery Park
Castlecomer Demesne Co. Ltd
The Estate Yard,
New Activities: PDF Flyer
Set in the former grounds of the Wandesforde Estate, Castlecomer Discovery Park comprises 80 acres of stunning natural woodland and lakes. This relatively ‘young’ park opened to the public in 2007 with the launch of the Coal Mining Museum to promote awareness of the coal mining heritage. Along with the beautiful oak timbered visitor centre and award winning cafe, a number of design craft studios are located in the former stable yard where many of Ireland’s leading jewellers and ceramicists make and sell their work.
This beautiful park continues to evolve and is actively developing a range of recreational, cultural and educational amenities and activities for visitors of all ages. This includes a Tree Top Adventure Walk, Leap of Faith & Climbing Wall; new woodland orienteering trails (1, 2, 3km); fly & bait fishing lakes; and an extensive education programme for both primary and secondary schools.
The growing appeal of the park is evident in the fact it has been nominated twice as ‘One of the Three Best Family Attractions in Leinster’ (Primary Times Readers 2012/2013)
The Castlecomer Discovery Park is a social/community enterprise and operates on a Non Profit basis. It is less than 20km from Kilkenny city on the N78, 80 mins from Dublin city. A nominal parking fee of €2 exists for full day parking. See www.discoverypark.ie
- Tree Top Adventure Walk - Discover your inner climber by completing the Tree Top Adventure. Walking high above the trees, ten metres above the ground, this 140 metre long course gives a bird's eye view of the park to those brave enough to venture up! (pre-booking is essential)
- Climbing Wall and Leap of Faith - Reach new heights by challenging yourself on our great outdoor climbing wall with several different levels for all to enjoy. Experience our daring 'Leap of Faith' - climb the 7 metre pole, balance on the platform and take a 'leap of faith' aiming for the target before being assisted back to ground level. (pre-booking is essential)
- Coal Mining Exhibtion - The Coal Mining Museum comprises a 45 minute tour through Castlecomer's coal mining past. The exhibition is an interactive multi-media display that takes the visitor on a journey through time. Starting with the formation of the coal 300 million years ago, it brings the visitor through more than 300 years of coal mining history to the closure of the mines in 1969.
- Woodland Trails - With over 80 acres of woodland and lakeside to explore Castlecomer Discovery Park is the perfect place to experience nature, get fit and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Fishing - The grounds of Castlecomer Discovery Park are centred around two rainbow trout fishing lakes. The lower lake is reserved for fly fishing and the upper lake for bait fishing.
- Craft - Choose from handmade pottery, up-cycled furniture and accessories, quirky and precious jewellery from the resident goldsmiths & jewellers and a wide range of other beautiful, covetable items.
- Playground - Come play in our charming timber tumbles playground, mini zip wire and climbing wall.
- Jarrow Café - relax with a coffee, snack or light lunch at the award winning 'Bridgestone' café.
- Boating - Visitors to Castlecomer Discovery Park can enjoy NEW water based activities on 1 of our 2 picturesque lakes, as part of the ongoing development of the park! Located in our stunning natural woodland setting and surrounded by a variety of magnificent trees the introduction of paddle boats and Canadian canoes has been going down a treat with visiting families and friends. Visitors now have another way to soak up the atmosphere at the park: they can sit back and relax while taking in the beautiful scenery of the surrounding woodland, and admire the backdrop of the beautifully recently restored 17th ct stone bridge. This hugely enjoyable experience is an ideal family activity for parents and children - and even an opportunity to allow them in the driving seat! So whether it's a fast-paced or leisurely cruise around the lake you're looking for, there's plenty of room for everybody at Castlecomer Discovery Park, because after all we are 'Yours to enjoy'.
This beautiful park continues to evolve and is actively developing a range of exciting recreational, cultural and educational activities for visitors of all ages. We look forward to welcoming you to the park!
- Check website for any changes to prices.
- €2 Parking Charge per car per day (towards the upkeep of the Park).
Boating (for 2014):
- Boating open from 12 - 4pm on weekends
- Paddle boats & Canadian Canoes
- €10/30 mins per paddle boat (sits up to 5)
- €10/30 mins per canoe (sits 3 people)
- Fishing will continue on one lake only.
- Booking is required for boating activities, Terms & Conditions apply
Footprints In Coal:
- €7 Adult
- €6 Student/OAP
- €5 Child
- €20 (2 Adults and 2 Children) each additional child €2
- Child U-4 FREE
Tree Top Walk:
- €12.50 per person, with a 10% discount for two adults and two children.
Climbing Wall and Leap of Faith:
- €10 per person
All three Adventure Activities:
- €20 per person
- €15 per rod for four hours fishing.
Click on the link for more information on opening times: http://www.discoverypark.ie/contact/