St Francis Abbey Brewery Tours
Contact number for further details 056 7796498
Saint Francis Abbey Brewery
The Making of Smithwicks Guided Tours
Soak up the atmosphere of Ireland’s Oldest Brewery The St. Francis Abbey Brewery occupies over 25 acres in the heart of Kilkenny City.
The brewery has been part of local life for over 290 years and it is here that Smithwick’s Ale was first brewed in 1710. In the mid 1800s, driven by the ambition and skill of Edmund Smithwick, the brewery expanded as Smithwick’s ale became more popular nationwide. The brewery began exporting eight different types of beer. By the 1920s Smithwick’s had become Ireland’s most popular ale, a position it still holds.
- Exhibition Hall (entrance from Parliament Street)
- Cellar bar
- Brewing process
- Tasting room
- Main brewing house
September 2013 tour times [Final Month to Visit]
Tours commence at the following times:
- Days Open: Tuesday to Saturday, inclusive (Closed on Sunday and Monday)
- NOTE: Fully booked during September on Saturday 14th, Tuesday 24th, Wednesday 25th, Thursday 26th & Friday 27th.
- NOTE: The total closure of the brewery is on the Saturday 28th September.
Brewery Tour Experience takes approximately 1.5 hours and includes one complimentary drink in the Cellar Bar. Numbers on each tour have increased recently to 20 to accomodate groups. Pre-booking is essential.
- Please note St. Francis Abbey Brewery is primarily a production facility, we regret that we cannot cater for wheelchair users or persons with impaired mobility due to the structure and layout of our 300 year old site.
- Over 18's Only.
- For your safety, please wear appropriate footwear (No high heels or open toe footwear)
- Please adhere to our site rules, which will be outlined before commencing the guided tour.