Tel: 056 7721297
Don't miss the Black Abbey, a Dominican Church founded in 1225 by William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke, this Domincan Church has been restored to its original splendour with a spectacular stained glass window.
The Black Abbey (so-called because of the colour of the priests’ habits) was part of the Dominican Priory. In addition to the church, there were many other buildings where the priests and lay brothers lived and worked. They also owned some land and had a mill on the River Breagagh. The Abbey lay outside the walls of the city, and was connected to the rest of Kilkenny by a gate.